Learning Spanish in Colombia was my main goal when I decided to come to Colombia. I chose Colombia, and ultimately Medellin, for a few reasons. Here’s a breakdown of why learning Spanish in Colombia is a smart choice!
1. The Spanish in Colombia, other than on the Caribbean Coast, is a very neutral and understandable accent.
2. The cost of living in a major city in Colombia is considerably less expensive than the majority of major Spanish speaking cities.
3. The people of Colombia are extremely friendly, and appreciate you trying to learn their language. They will take time to try and understand you while you struggle through the beginning phase of the process. In other places, this is not the case.
4. There aren’t many English speakers in Colombia, which helps facilitate the Spanish learning process.
5. The weather in much of Colombia is ideal.
6. It is now one of the safer places in the Spanish-speaking world. The word “Colombia” in the past was synonymous with danger, but this no longer holds true. The major Colombian cities are now as safe, or safer than most Central American, Mexican, and South American cities.
7. Private lessons are inexpensive. I pay 17,500COP/hr, or approximately $9US/hr for one-on-one lessons from a former Spanish language University professor.
8. There’s beautiful people here! What better incentive to learn, than a hot chica or chico?
Where will you Choose for Learning Spanish in Colombia?
Learning Spanish in Bogota: Colombia’s Capital and Largest City
Learning Spanish in Medellin: Colombia’s Second Largest City, with Perfect Weather
Learning Spanish in Cartagena: Colombia’s Colonial Coastal Gem
Viva en español!